Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 25th

It's amazing how much your thinking and self-image changes once a baby is on the way.  I'm a male and therefore do some seriously stupid shit from time to time.  Before I'd simply think "whoops, that was dumb" and move on my merry way.  Now images of a living, breathing amalgamation of my DNA come to mind and I think "what if my son or daughter saw that?"  "Whoops" has become "oh damn, that's bad."  Where before I could see myself enjoying a drink (or three) and having a blast making an idiot of myself now I see myself sober, upright and telling the kid to "knock it off" (whatever "it" was I apparently don't like it).  Is it maturity?  I don't know.  I personally think maturity is just a fancy word to describe putting life experience to good use.  Right now I only know I'm not the same Mark I was six weeks ago.  Clearly Susana's body isn't the only thing changing in preparation for the baby.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, I love this. Here's some of that "not that you asked" advice from a been there done that (three times in three decades... no, really) mama: Don't get too sober. ;+)

    Dropping in from BBC. Had to start from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete