Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 21st

Baby names.  So, when exactly should you start thinking about baby names?  I know some women have their baby names picked out before their second birthday -- "Ga ga.  Jasmine.  Goo goo." -- but Susana is not such a person.  Now, I'd always said I liked the names William Christopher and Ashley or Kimberly Marie.  I've discovered I'm more flexible on those than in the past.  Why?  Well, because the bitch (a.k.a. the ex) and I settled on Kimberly Marie because I concluded having a cat and a child named Ashley would be quite confusing to the child especially in regards to having a bowl with the name Ashley emblazoned on the side and filled with cat food.  and as a semi-nod to her dad Kim I suggested Kimberly.  As for William, now everyone assumes you're naming the boy after England's Prince William and then there is the whole nickname thing with people calling him Will, Willie, Bill and Billy for short leaving me open to assault and battery charges.  No, my "ideal" names are no longer ideal and I've come to terms with that.  It does, however, leave open the fact Susana never really picked names before (meaning no ideal names) and I've thrown my out the window meaning we gots nuthin'.  Since it is true everyone will start suggesting names to us I have already begun practicing my "That's a great name" smile and nod while making a mental note to never talk to the person again.  We've downloaded a baby names app (yes, there's an app for that), the unoriginally named Baby Names app.  Smartly, the makers of Baby Names chose to have a free and "premium" app.  The difference: the free app only lists every name known to man while the "premium" app also gives you the cultural origin, its meaning and the most recent time it made it on the top 100 baby names even if that was back in 1972.  It also lets you save your favorites which is a good idea since Susana has momnesia and I forget at least once a week that we're supposed to feed the cats twice a day.  I will not mention the names we've saved so we don't start getting unrequested opinions and advice (sorry, but it's our property, I mean child, and we're going to pick the names without outside interference).  The only thing we've really decided is Luke and Leia are out.  Unfortunately.

1 comment:

  1. Thank god. If you named your baby after Star Wars, I would mock you...behind your back of course because that's what friends are for.

    ReplyDelete