Thursday, September 1, 2011

September 2nd

When you reach my age, 25 (keep your looks to yourself; I can lie to myself if I want to), you start thinking about your legacy.  How will you be remembered?  For the last decade or so I figured I would be that funny guy whose many friends would come to his funeral and reminisce about all the stupid and funny shit he did over the years.  Then I met Susana (cue "Awwwwwwww").  Finding your soul mate is a wonderful thing.

My legacy then changed to (I hope) include good boyfriend/partner/significant other/husband/whatever-they're-just-words and hopefully at least 50 years at Susana's side.  
And then ...



They say things change when you have a baby.  I have no doubts they will.  They already have.  Questions creep into your mind like "will I be a good father," "what will she look like," "will she like me" and "will I ever get to sleep again?"  Every thought, idea or plan starts with the question "what about the baby?"

Over time (and at 9-1/2 months there is a painful amount of time), thoughts about your legacy begin to change.  Sure, I'll still be the funny guy whose friends laugh at his funeral.  Wait, I don't like that.  The funny guy whose friends reminisce about him and laugh (much better), but your legacy changes with a baby.  Everything you are, everything you were, everything you will be with the time you have remaining is wrapped in that 10-pound wrapper.  Seeing Susana's eyes, let’s make that a 6-pound, 4-ounce wrapper.

She will be my legacy, my gift to the world.  I am still the funny guy blessed with lots of friends and am different things to all of them, but sometime in January that will change because to Darcy Madison Post I will just be daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment